Friday, December 11, 2009

Interesting week for domestic violence cases in shotgun Mary Winkler's homestate

There was a murder trial in Savannah, Tn this week that was televised nationally on TruTv(formerly known as CourtTV). It involved a local nurse who was facing life in prison for murdering her husband with an unprescribed diabetes drug. The husband who was a local fire chief seemed to be a very popular man around their Bruton Branch neighborhood just south of Savannah while his wife was portrayed as being cold and distant. In the end the jury acquitted her of all charges although I noticed an interesting comment posted by someone at the end of a column concerning this case on the Jackson Sun website. The commentator claimed that Mrs Chasson worked with a lady years ago at Regional Hospital in Jackson who is currently serving life for giving her husband an unprescribed diabetes drug. So who knows. Then today came the news that former Tennesee GOP spokesperson Bill Hobbs was arrested on a domestic violence charge back in October. But him and his wife both claim on Adam Kleinheider's blog in Nashville that the whole case was basically a huge misunderstanding. Who knows where the truth lies in that case, but hopefully it'll will work out ok for the sake of their two children. I don't understand cases like those and especially the infamous Winkler case. Ive personally never hit or for that matter threatened anyone in my life although I sure have felt like it a few times (who among us hasnt?). But everytime I have, you just take a few deep breaths and walk away. My late fiance who passed away from cancer a few years ago liked to joke with me that if I ever hit her she would have her father (who played football for Bear Bryant at Alabama) "shine my ass with a grindstone". She always believed humor and honesty were the keys to a successful marriage. Its unfortunate we never got to test her theory......

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ain't that a pip. I live about 5 miles from the Savannah courthouse, and had no idea they were televising the whole thing. I guess it's a good thing I don't get to town very often. :)

Mr Turnbow said...

Kate, if FOX had sent Geraldo to cover the trial everyone from Walnut Grove to Saltillo would've known about it.

Kate said...

Hmmm... Sure is a sad commentary on our society these days. Even sadder on Geraldo. But I do believe you are right.